Sunday, November 6, 2011

Community Spotlight: Racketboy.com

Please allow me to jump to a conclusion. You're here for one of two reasons:

1) You like video games old and new
-or-
2) You've been linked here as part an elaborate pyramid scheme

Either way, I really appreciate you stopping by, especially if you're here as part of my pyramid scheme. (that's another cool $0.13.) However, if you're here because you appreciate video games, you should also know that this isn't the only place on the web for news, reviews, culture, fart jokes, and the like.

One of my favorite gaming websites, Racketboy.com, is a place I discovered a couple years ago as the result of an uber-generic search for "retro gaming" on the Google. Go ahead and try it now. I'll wait. It'll be the third link down.

Racketboy is the sort of website that my little Duckhunt dog-and-pony show aspires to be. Way more than the obligatory discussion forum (which is great, but more on that later), it's also full of incredibly entertaining and informative articles, including game and console buyers' guides, store and arcade reviews, news features, and whatever else is going on in the world of retro gaming.

For a collector like myself, my favorites are from the Best Games Under $10 and Hidden Gems series. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been known to run off to the local game store whenever a new one of these are published. (Note to self: find a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta.)

If you're like me and so behind on games that really old ones are still new, don't fret! Racketboy's Together Retro feature has you covered. Every month, they pick a new (old) game and you get the chance to play through it with your friends like it's 1989 all over again.
 
Before you start, they'll give you some nice background information on the game of the month, plus several options on where to find it. After that, it's up to you to give it a shot, posting your thoughts on the game as you progress.Think of it like the Oprah's Book Club of retro gaming.

YOU get a copy of Shining Force! And YOU get a copy of Shining Force!

Finally, I can't get enough of the Racketboy discussion forums. I'm usually guilty of just lurking in the shadows, without much desire to share (weird for a guy with a blog, right?), but it's easy to find something to talk about here. Whatever game platform or genre you're into, there's someone talking about it on Racketboy, and best of all: no trolls!

Naturally, one of my favorite areas is the Marketplace. I've gotten some great deals on some incredible games over the years. My copies of Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, and several Neo Geo games all came from the Racketboy marketplace. Beats the heck out of ebay!

And if that wasn't enough, Racketboy also has a podcast! The in-depth, informative interviews with game developers and industry insiders make for a great listen!

So what are you waiting for? Go sign up over at Racketboy! And while you're there, say hello--I'm Diesel_Dan on the forums.

1 comment:

  1. If this is the Duck Hunt of video game blogs, can I be the snickering dog?

    I totally want to go play Chrono Trigger now, though.

    ReplyDelete