Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Recent Pickups Episode 6, Part 1: Sega do what Ninten-do, too.

For this installment of Recent Pickups, I'll be using the term "recent" pretty loosely. With the whole YouTube thing picking up steam, my light box being in pieces, and any number of other poor excuses, it's been quite a while since we've seen a new episode. In that time, I've added another 40 or so games to the collection, and These date back the furthest of them all:

Strider
Console: NES
Release Date: July, 1989
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Acquired From: Racketboy.com trade
Condition: I'll take it!
Notes: A must-have for any NES collection! I could go on and on about how great Strider is, but all you need to know is that Hiryu swings his sword so hard and fast that all you see is speed lines. And if you hear that telltale "SHING SHING" sound, you're already dead. ...SHING SHING!

Air Fortress
Console: NES
Release Date: September, 1989
Developer: HAL Laboratory
Publisher: HAL Laboratory
Acquired From: Donation from my nephew!
Condition: Astro-nomical (see what I did there?)
Notes: I remember renting this game from my local Diamond Video way back in the day. Clearly it left an impression on me. Of course, this means that I'm terrified to actually play it again. What if it's not as awesome as I remember? On the other hand, what if it is? ...oh damn.

Knight Rider
Console: NES
Release Date: December, 1989
Developer: Pack-In-Video
Publisher: Acclaim
Acquired From: Donation from my nephew!
Condition: Good enough, Michael
Notes: You don't own Knight Rider on the NES because it's a good game. You own Knight Rider on the NES because Knight Rider is awesome.

Pac-Man
Console: NES
Release Date: December 30, 1993
Developer: Namco
Publisher: Namco
Acquired From: Goodwill
Condition: Great! And it came with the box...which is not it great condition. But hey, it's a boxed NES game, so there's that.
Notes: It's Pac-Man! Awok-awok-awok-awok-awok-awok-awok.....Awok-awok-awok-awok-awok...

Yoshi
Console: NES
Release Date: June, 1992
Developer: Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Acquired From: Goodwill
Condition: Ask Pac-Man.
Notes: Honestly, I've never played Yoshi, but it was sitting next to Pac-Man, and I knew it was a relatively late release for the NES, in good condition, and came with the box. Sold!

Virtua Racing
Console: Sega Saturn
Release Date: March 14, 1994
Developer: Sega AMD/Time Warner
Publisher: Sega
Acquired From: James Games & More
Condition: Funny thing about Saturn game cases: they seem to disintegrate around the disc in noble effort to protect it. Not unlike a decent race car. 
Notes: My Saturn collection is pretty sad. So while I didn't find Virtua Racing out in the wild, I was willing to pay the convenience charge to add an iconic racer to the shelf.

Fighting Vipers
Console: Sega Saturn
Release Date: November 30, 1996
Developer: Sega AMD
Publisher: Sega
Acquired From: James Games & More
Condition: Ehhhh. The Fighting Vipers have armor, so why doesn't Fighting Vipers?
Notes: There's never anything wrong with adding a fighter to your Saturn collection--that's sorta the reason you buy one in the first place. This is especially true when the game encourages you to beat the tar out of a dude using a Gibson Flying-V.


That'll do it for Part 1. Stay tuned for Part 2. I hope you like N64!

No comments:

Post a Comment